4/25/16 Chronicles

Friends' blogs


Latest Post - This Week

  Monday 4/18/16

This whole day has been bad since I woke up! I should just never have gotten out of bed.

I had asked my hubby to set the clock for 9. Either he didn't do it right, or I got up and shut it off and went back to bed, in my sleep! I woke up about 20 minutes later when the workers outside were making a big racket (as they have been a lot lately, fixing the lanais on our side of the building). I have no memory at all of shutting off the alarm.

So I rushed to get dressed because the dry cleaner guy calls me sometime between 9 and 12 (usually before 10:30, though) to bring down the dirty laundry and to get the clean stuff he's delivering. I don't have time to wait until he calls, or else I would make him wait, which is not very nice. So I usually get up, get dressed, and then go back to sleep until he calls, with my shoes and keys ready nearby. I just stayed awake today until he called.

Then after that, I was really sick my "usual" gluten problems. I had also read some things online that really annoyed me. First, I had missed Lena's birthday, which was last week! We just saw them last night, so I felt bad about that. 

You may recall that last week, I had a bunch of interviews. Three were conference calls. Well, usually the networks send us all transcripts of these calls, so we can use them on our websites.  Some websites take the transcript and write it up into an interview, like one might see in the newspaper. Some only put select parts of the transcript. Some, like me, put up the whole transcript. They apparently emailed me to say, take down the transcript. Which I thought was odd. I guess there was some legal reason, but they should have let me know ahead of time. I've done other interviews with this network, too, so that was very strange. I took it all down except for the few questions I asked, and then I'll just write the whole thing up later into a regular article instead. Still, that is very aggravating. If I had known ahead of time, I would have probably asked more questions instead of just two, and I might have left the call earlier, too. I even recorded the whole call because I wasn't sure if they were even sending a transcript! Because some of the cable networks don't always send them, and their invitation didn't say one way or the other. So that was just irritating.

I went back to bed until around 2:30pm. Then I got up and was sick some more. UGH. Not fun.

Then I got more bad news. I've been using Expression Web, which is a web page editor. It's the one Microsoft came out with to replace Frontpage. I had to stop using Frontpage, which I prefer, because it doesn't work so well with Windows 8 or 10. I mean, I still use it sometimes, for certain things (such as this blog, actually).  So on my TV site, I opened a page and noticed that most of it seemed dark. It has a white background with just a little yellow on the left. But instead it was a greyish color. It seemed to be just one page, but then suddenly it was on ALL of the pages on my site (well, all of the ones with the "newer" design - not the ones with the old red and black design).  I finally figured out that it had something to do with the coding. Somehow EW put in a bunch of weird coding in my pages. So I have to go through and delete it on all of the pages. Normally if it was just a little bit of coding, I could do it with find/replace and not have to open each page, but this is a huge chunk of coding, so it won't work. Thankfully, Gisele is helping me.  But what a pain. I was feeling so happy yesterday because for ONCE I got a lot of work done ahead of time and was feeling actually "caught up." I should have known something like this would happen to waste my time!

So I spent all afternoon and evening working on that... very annoying.

We went to Square Barrels for dinner. They were really crowded, and it took quite a while, but the food was very good as always.

I sure hope tomorrow will be better!

  Tuesday 4/19/16

I was able to sleep in pretty well....there was not TOO much noise outside.

I got up around 2:30 again and then after a little while, took my cart and went over to run errands. First I bought a couple of blouses at Ross, then I went to Wal-mart and picked up the photos from my brother's disposable cameras. I had put in about 5 but only got 4 envelopes back, so hopefully the last one will show up sometime. I put in another camera. I hope they don't lose that one. It has some photos on it that a friend took for me at a soap opera fan event. Anyway, I picked up snacks and some other stuff at the Wal-Mart, then stopped at McDonald's before going home. I had quite a full cart.

After eating and resting a little bit, I started the laundry. Then not too long after that, I met David at Epic. I just had a salad and picked up a soda on the way home.

We just did our usual, watched some TV. I did the laundry as well so we could start packing for our trip. All night, I've been getting ready for the trip. Charging iPods, doing work on my site etc.

  Wednesday 4/20/16

It was a long day! I wanted to get up around 10 and run to the grocery store, but instead, I got up around 11:30. I was just tired because I stayed up pretty late the night before as usual. I had gotten most of my packing done. I just had to take a shower, brush my teeth, gather a few things together and get dressed. David came home around noon and we left for the airport around 12:30.

We ate lunch at the first place we saw inside the security, which was a mistake, and we've done that before. There's a way better place near the gate (depending on which terminal  you're in) called the PGA Tour Grill. It has gluten free stuff, too. Oh, well. I just had a cheeseburger and a little bit of cole slaw. A little later, I had some ice cream from Cold Stone Creamery.  My stomach was not feeling well today, nor Thursday, either, although I didn't have my usual problems...but I could tell I would at some point.  That's fine as long as I'm not stuck in the bathroom when our plane is boarding or landing... I've been pretty lucky in that regard.

I was really tired on the plane, and I did sleep some. I had brought snacks, but at one point, I did buy their tapas box, which is gluten free and always good. It has some greek olives, some gluten free tortilla chips, hummus, dried apricots and a little square of chocolate.  We shared it a little

We paid a little extra for the seats that are better than coach but not as good as first class. You get more elbow and leg room, so it's worth it.  Also, we had been assigned middle seats before, so this way we could sit together.  We were taking Alaska Airlines. These seats are definitely better in Hawaiian Airlines. They have the little movie screen on the seat in front of you, and you can play games etc. and also, we were fairly near the bathroom. On this one, you had to pay for the movie viewer and we were nowhere near the bathroom. However, they did give us two free drinks, so that was cool. It was a fairly uneventful trip. I did some reading when I wasn't sleeping.

We got in to San Diego about midnight. We checked into the San Diego Gaslamp Hotel, which we've stayed in before. Their room quality is variable, but the one we had was nice and big.  We went to this 24 hour diner across the street called Brian's. It was pretty good. I had the breakfast tacos. It was way too much food, and I had heartburn the whole night, so that was a bad idea.

A large man plopped down near us. He was kind of drunk and started talking to us (not in an unpleasant way). He asked if we were married, so we admitted we were. He told us that he just got engaged to a woman in Japan. He had been stationed over there and was now here in San Diego. She's a teacher there and is moving here to marry him. He was impressed to learn that we'd been married 33 years and asked us for advice on how we did it. We both told him that communication is key and to be honest.  It was hard to hear in there (very noisy), but otherwise I might also have added: be kind, considerate, and forgiving.  I had already said to also compromise and to remember the old phrase "Happy wife, happy life."  I would also say, with communication, that means really listen to what the other person is saying, and don't just try to fix whatever the problem is but listen and be supportive, and ask what they want or need.  But that was way too much for a casual conversation!

I was thinking about this already because people do ask us this all the time. I think it's good if you really enjoy spending time with the person, and it helps if you have similar outlooks or interests. I mean, of course you want to love the person and find them attractive, but the kind of intense love and passion you have when you're younger doesn't really last. Think about it - what you really want in a mate is someone that you're going to spend many years with, so it's a companion more than anything else. So it should be someone you actually enjoy being around.  For us, humor is important. He's very funny, of course, and makes me laugh, but also I make him laugh, too. We have similar senses of humor, most of the time. We tell each other jokes that we couldn't tell anyone else because we both enjoy very dark humor that other people might find very sick or poorly-timed or unkind, to put it in a nice way.

We have a lot of shared history and experiences together, since we've known each other since 1977! We have the same basic beliefs, like about religion, politics, and morality. We know we can trust each other, more or less. We have very different personalities in most ways, though.

I think the only thing I would change, really, is if we had more shared interests. He would probably prefer if I was more into politics or if I loved baseball. I know I would love it if he were into karaoke or scifi. But yet we do make it work. Like this trip, he'll be going to baseball games, and I'll go to one or two of those. I'm having a karaoke night on Sunday and perhaps do some shopping etc. We'll both be eating out and visiting our family and friends. So it works out.

You don't want to choose a mate that you can't trust, or you can't stand, or who has interests or values that you're against, or who you find boring.  You shouldn't go into a marriage thinking that you can change the person, either, because most of the time, you can't. You have to look at what you value, what's most important to you, and think about that person and what they're like, and how they will be in 20 years or more. For instance, if you're very religious, you don't want to marry someone who's not, probably.

We don't have kids, but a lot of people do, so you also have to think how that will affect your marriage. You sit down before you're married and ask if the other person wants kids, and then you discuss your expectations about the kids. Do you agree on how to discipline them or what you think you will want to teach the child etc. and how you will financially and emotionally be able to care for the child. And whether one of you expects that the other person will be doing most of the work or not, or who will take time off work, or how you will deal with it if you find out that the child has a disability. It's surprising how many people get married and don't talk about all of those things.

Anyway, that's my wisdom for the day :)

Just before we left, a young woman walked in, with some friends, stopped and sang really loudly, "La!" and then said, "We're here!" and we call clapped. That was funny.

I didn't get to sleep until about 6 am because my stomach wasn't feeling well, among other things.  David slept pretty well.

I had trouble at first, getting the wireless to work. I had to call the tech support and they called me back a while later. Very annoying, but eventually I got on. I was too tired to work, so I kept trying to get to sleep, and read magazines.

  Thursday 4/21/16

We checked out at 11 and moved to a much nicer hotel, the Hyatt. We got a good deal on the rooms here for the next two nights. We're right on the bay and it's beautiful.

After we checked in, we walked over to this place called Richard Walker's Pancake House. They had gluten free pancakes, and they were really good. So yummy! I just had a few and took the rest back to our room (but I never got around to eating the rest). We stopped at The Field and had some drinks, and talked to some friends on the phone, making plans, and watched a little soccer.

David printed out his Padres tickets in our hotel and I stopped in the gift shop to look around. Then I took a little nap but woke up. He took a longer nap while I did stuff online. I'm going to get dinner with him before the game, and then I'll stay in the room while he goes. I don't like baseball all that much, and he doesn't mind going alone. I'll go to tomorrow's game. I'll probably sleep some more while he's at the game and then either work or watch some movies in the room.

I finally did get sick as I usually do, which is not great, but at least the other pain and problems go away!

Very sad that Prince died, so young. Tsk tsk.

Found out another friend of ours is having chemo. I hope he'll be ok!

The Padres game went very long, so we didn't get to go to Osetra for snacks like we'd planned. Instead, we stopped in this place called Blue Point Coastal Cuisine. They had gluten free lobster bisque and it was delicious!! I rarely get to eat bisque, so that was wonderful.

I went to bed pretty early but had to get up in the middle of the night because I couldn't sleep, due to the usual problems.

  Friday 4/22/16

I went back to sleep until 2 pm. David went to El Cajon and visited with his mom and sister, and they went out to lunch. I just wasn't feeling up to it.

We went out later with our old friend Ira at this restaurant across the street, Season 52. They had an extensive gluten free menu! I had some flatbread with proscuitto and asparagus - delicious! I had part of a salad, too, but it was too much so I didn't finish it. They walked over to the stadium to buy tickets to tonight's game, but I went back to the room for a while.

I have to admit, as I get older, traveling gets harder and all I want to do on "vacation" is just relax, sleep a lot, take it easy. I mean, I do like to go out and have fun as well, but only if I'm rested...

We went to the Padres game around 7. The game started late, around 8:40. I haven't been there for about 2 years. Last year I think David went to all of the games himself. I had intended to go but got sick.  They have a lot of great food places there now. They make you go through a security x-ray now, like the airport. UGH. Except you don't have to take off your shoes, belt etc. They just look through your bags and put YOU through the X-ray, not your stuff.

I was taking a lot of pics and had David take one of me in front of a Padres sign. It was a little blurry, but ok.  Anyway, I got a soda and then we sat down.  Then we noticed that they have this thing, where if you post your selfie and tag SDinHD, they put it up on the big scoreboard!  So we took another selfie. David had been reluctant, but since he was wearing the Padres hat and shirt, I said, you have to take a picture with me because you're wearing all the gear and I'm not! LOL! So he did, and I posted it, and then about 10 minutes later, there we were on the big screen! And they kept showing it over and over. So that was very cool.

They've really improved the food at the ballpark, even the gluten-free choices.  They used to just have one or two little booths with some really bad gluten free hot dogs and burgers, maybe a muffin, and beer. Now they've integrated gluten-free foods into the booths so you can find them in lots of places. I had a gluten-free pepperoni pizza. It wasn't great, but it was ok.

There were a lot of drunk fans, as usual. Some guys in the row in front of us, and a little to the right, somehow got into a yelling back-and-forth argument with some guys about 4 rows ahead in front of us. I couldn't tell what they were arguing about, and they were all Padres fans, but it was just silly drunk stuff.  None of them really wanted to get up and fight. It was just mostly macho posturing.  I was yelling "Sit down!" to one guy who kept getting up to argue.  Some people around them were irritated, and some were enjoying the show.  Near the end, the one guy stood up and yelled at the other guy, who had been yelling a lot of stuff.  He yelled "Shut the Hell up!" and then after thinking about it for a second, he added, "No offense..."  Yeah, right, that helps a lot, dude!  Ha ha! Then a security guy came over, and he asked me what was going on, so I just said, "Oh, just a bunch of drunk guy yelling at each other ...no big deal." And then he went over and chatted with them all. I went to get drinks or something, and he was gone by the time I came back. He just calmed them down, which was fine. He was a mellow old guy.

Anyway, it was a fun night... they won the game, which was very fun. It had two home runs and they were ahead the whole time. It was just a really fun time.

After that, we walked over to The Field again and had some drinks. They had a great band, which was fun. I had a delicious chocolate mint drink, and listened to the band. They played classic Irish songs like "La Bamba!" LOL! We didn't stay out too late. It was a very fun night.

We had forgotten to take the "Do Not Disturb" sign off the door, so the room didn't get made up. I just got them to bring up some towels and a few other necessities. I did a little bit of work before bed.

  Saturday 4/23/16

I went to bed very late, but I had to get up fairly early.  We packed and checked out of our hotel, then we took our stuff to Susan and John's place in El Cajon.  Then we went over to see my mother-in-law at her senior place.  We all went out to lunch at this great Italian place that we always enjoy, Nicolosi's. I had their gluten free ravioli and spaghetti. It was way too much food, so I took the rest  back to Susan's and enjoyed it for snacks through-out the weekend.

Susan and I went to the mall for a little while after that. I was looking for a rock and roll shirt to wear to my concert May 15th.  We had a good time! Then a little while after that, George and Beth picked us up, with their kids. They'd just had a karate tournament and won first place.  We all went to Souplantation for dinner. It's always good there, and they mark all of their food that's gluten-free. Few buffets do that. I really miss their blueberry muffins and pizza, though.  Anyway, they do have gluten free and sugar free chocolate mousse, which is awesome!

It was great being around them and their kids. The kids were a little hyper, but fun. There was a guy there who made balloon animals, so they enjoyed that. Then we went back to their place in Poway for a while. We took lots of pictures and then sat around, chatting.  I got very sleepy, so eventually we went back El Cajon.

Susan and John remodeled their downstairs bathroom, so it's great. It hasn't worked for a long time. Their guest bedroom is downstairs, so it was not that convenient to have to go upstairs to use the restroom. Now it's so much better.  Plus she put cute blue dragons on the wall and on the towels.

I went to bed pretty early since I was so exhausted.

  Sunday 4/24/16

Unfortunately, I woke up around 3am, itching and coughing, and I couldn't get back to sleep. The only good thing about is that I actually got some much-needed work done on my site. I also caught up on some DVD's I'd brought to watch.

I did go back to sleep for a little bit later on.  David went to another Padres game around 10:30.  Then a little while later, after 2, Susan drove me over to our storage unit, where I met a guy from North American (moving company).  We couldn't get the lock off the door! It's been 3 years since we'd opened it. I got the manager to come over, and he used WD40, and still the key wouldn't turn in the lock. He finally was able to break it off with a hammer, and then he got us a new lock. The moving guy looked at our stuff. It didn't take too long.

Susan drove me through Arby's on the way home, and that was very enjoyable. I love their Beef and Cheddar sandwich.  There are only three Arby's on Oahu and none of them are near us! It was a real treat. Even without the bun, their sandwiches are great. I miss the potato cakes, too...oh, well.

David came home around 5:30 or so from his game. Then a little while later, we took a cab over to karaoke at Second Wind Santee (same place we went last night). We had a blast! It's always fun, but it was even more fun than usual. My brother David wasn't able to show, unfortunately, due to being sick. Stephen and Zina came, but they didn't stay too long. Ira showed up with his new girlfriend, but she's an early-to-bed sort, so they didn't stay that long, either.  My sister-in-law Laurie came, though, so that was awesome. We hadn't seen her for five years. Unfortunately, my brother Pat, her husband, is in North Dakota.  Jim Wadman, who used to be in S.T.A.R., also came, with his girlfriend.  He and I never met before, though, but just know each other via Facebook. We've been emailing back and forth because he's going to help out on my web site. Of course Martin was there, and my good friend Mary was there, with her boyfriend and her three sons. It was just great fun. We sang a lot and also did many duets.

I didn't sing anything "new," just songs I know that were good. I did "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" by Benatar; "Poor Poor Pitiful Me" by Linda Ronstadt; "I Will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor and "Misty Blue" by Dorothy Moore. The last one was very good, I think. Anyway, I also did duets. Martin and I did "A Whole New World" from Aladdin, which we've done quite a few times. I think it's our best, though. I did "Please Mr. Postman" with Mary. David and I did "Summer Lovin'" from Grease, but he really had fun with it, hamming it up, and it was so fun. Everyone was laughing and enjoying it. Laurie and I did "Landslide." It's way too low for both of us, but we had a lot of fun, anyway.

I got food from the nearby Jack-in-the-box for a late dinner. Martin drove us home. He's always fun, too.

Even though it's April, it was very chilly the whole time! It was in the 50's a lot. Brrrr!

I didn't get this blog done in time to post on Monday. I started to, and then Frontpage crashed. I hope I managed to get everything in! We've had just a really amazing and fun trip.

Don't forget that you can see all the pics on my Instagram !

Hope you have a great week....

I disabled the comments because of spam, but please do Contact me if you have a comment about the blog!

This page updated 3/24/17

[an error occurred while processing this directive] Save the Internet: Click here

Home 1/4/16 Chronicles 1/11/16 Chronicles 1/20/16 Chronicles 1/25/16 Chronicles 2/1/16 Chronicles 2/8/16 Chronicles 2/15/16 Chronicles 2/22/16 Chronicles 2/29/16 Chronicles 3/7/16 Chronicles 3/14/16 Chronicles 3/21/16 Chronicles 3/28 Chronicles 4/18/16 Chronicles 4/25/16 Chronicles 5/2/16 Chronicles 5/9/16 Chronicles 5/16/16 Chronicles 5/23/16 Chronicles 5/30/16 Chronicles 6/7/16 Chronicles 6/13/16 Chronicles 6/20/16 Chronicles 7/4/16 Chronicles 6/27/16 Chronicles 7/11/16 Chronicles 7/18/16 Chronicles 7/25/16 Chronicles 8/1/16 Chronicles 8/8/16 Chronicles 8/15/16 Chronicles 8/22/16 Chronicles 8/29/16 Chronicles 9/5/16 Chronicles 9/12/16 Chronicles 9/19/16 Chronicles 9/26/16 Chronicles 10/3/16 Chronicles 10/10/16 Chronicles 10/17/16 Chronicles 10/31/16 Chronicles 11/7/16 Chronicles 11/14/16 Chronicles 11/21/16 Chronicles 11/28/16 Chronicles 12/5/16 Chronicles 12/12/16 Chronicles 12/19/16 Chronicles 12/26/16 Chronicles