12/21/15 Chronicles

Friends' blogs


Latest Post - This Week

  Saturday, December 12

I tried to go to bed early, but I was coughing. I hope I'm not getting David's cold. I think it was just the usual problem of allergies.

It was very hot today! Lately it's been a bit cooler, but not today.

We had a nice dinner at our favorite local place, Duc's Bistro. It's always delicious and the service is great. We just sat at the bar because we weren't eating all that much.

David had a business trip, so he left in the evening to head to the airport. I was doing work for the rest of the night. I had a lot to catch up on.

  Sunday, December 13

I stayed up pretty late last night, working. 

I met my friends Tom and Cynthina at Downbeat Diner (about 2 blocks away) for an early dinner around 3:30. I met their friend, Margaret, who was joining us. We were headed to the Hawaii Theater for this musical, but we were very early. Cynthia had bought our tickets and wanted to make sure we got them, I guess. We ate and then went over to the theater to pick up our tickets. We still had time to kill after that. I had dressed in a long sleeve shirt, and it was really hot out, so I suggested we find another air-conditioned place to sit.  Luckily, Tap Room was open (sometimes they are on Sundays, but sometimes not).  We had some drinks there and kept chatting until about 5:20.

At some point, I realized that my throat was scratchy, and I felt sick. I was sure at that point that I had come down with David's cold.I bought some waters in the theater; otherwise I might start coughing during the play.

This is what we went to see: December 13 - Gay Men's Chorus of Honolulu presents A Holiday Carol at the Hawaii Theatre Center. Tickets are $20-40. Scrooge – a lonely, grumpy gay man – could care less about the holidays. On a mission to change his perspective and perhaps his life, the Spirits of each Season, with the help of the Gay Men’s Chorus of Honolulu, visit Scrooge one by one on the eve of the new year and take him on a journey through the Holidays. For more information visit http://www.hawaiitheatre.com/events/a-holiday-carol/

It was a lot of fun, and we all enjoyed it. The place was packed!  They did a pretty good job, although there were some technical issues with the microphones. I most enjoyed the Christmas songs. They did my favorite, Carol of the Bells, and this hilarious rendition of Jingle Bells that is put to the music of "The Nutcracker."  The first half of the play was different seasons, and their nuber "The Easter Parade" was hilarious since they all came out in different, large, ridiculous, colorful hats.  The guy who sang "Summertime" was also excellent and that's a favorite song of mine as well. I had fun singing along, too, on the Christmas songs.

They walked me back home and not too long after that, I went to bed...I was very tired and not feeling well. I took Aleve and cough syrup. At first I had trouble getting to sleep, but eventually I did.

  Monday, December 14

Poor David's flight was canceled due to weather, and he had to spend too much time in an airport and in a different city than he had planned. Aside from his calling me, and taking the dry cleaning downstairs, I slept most of the day. That's what I usually do when I'm sick. Once I woke up, I felt much better.

I didn't go out of the house today because of being sick. I didn't have much food in the house, but I didn't feel like ordering pizza or anything, so I just made do with what I had. I was sleeping most of the day, anyway. I had a little bit of a fever (not too bad).

I started my Christmas cards, finally! I got most of them done. I send out about 125. About 25 are the people who work on my site at The TV MegaSite.  The rest are mostly real-life friends, relatives and acquaintances (and some online friends).

I went to sleep about 1am, and I slept pretty well. It was not too hot, thankfully.

  Tuesday, December 15

I woke up around 11:30, so I had quite a bit of sleep. I was feeling much better, just kind of tired.

I was going to take a shower, but it was pretty dirty, so I cleaned it first. We have these tiny little drains with drain traps, and after awhile, they get clogged up with soap and hair. Then of course it takes a long time to drain the shower water out, and then that leaves a terrible mess in the tub.  So I cleaned out the drain trap of that and then cleaned the shower. Oh, and also, I'd accidentally washed some clothes with a kleenex, so there were little bits of paper all over the clothes, and I had brushed them out over the tub, so it had little pieces of tissue all over. Now it's nice and clean :)

About 1:30, I walked over to 'Umeke to get a sandwich. I ordered a turkey sandwich with bacon on gluten free bread. It took a really long time, 15 minutes, which they apologized for. I was starving at that point. Then they gave me a burger instead, so I just had them take off the sprouts for me. It wasn't bad. I had just wanted a turkey sandwich! LOL! 

I had felt a bit weak walking there, but after eating, I felt much better. I had brought my cart, so I stopped at walmart to get a few things i was out of, and then stopped at Subway briefly to get a soda.

After I got home and rested a little bit, I cleaned up the apartment so it would be nice and neat when David got home. I have many Christmas decorations that light up or blink, but after awhile, the batteries run down, so I replaced a few batteries. I had to do the dishes and a few other things... then I went back to working on my Christmas cards.

David came home. He was very tired and spent way too much time in airports.  Unfortunately, he came back after 9pm.  We had another holiday party we could have gone to, but it was too late. That's fine because I was too sick, anyway.

I finally finished my holiday cards and will send those out tomorrow! Yay!  Next I need to start making cookies.

I felt much better today. I'm not sure yet if I plan to cancel my guitar lesson on Thursday. I have to do it by Wednesday afternoon or else it will be too late. I don't want to have to pay for a lesson for nothing.

I've been enjoying crossing things off my to-do list this week!

Going to bed now at 4AM so that's way too late.

  Wednesday, December 16

I woke up around 2pm. I figured I'd better sleep as long as possible, since I've been sick. I was a bit achy when I woke up, probably from all the moving around yesterday.  Other than that, and feeling a little tired, I feel all better. That was a very quick and easy cold.

I had to go to the post office to mail all of my cards and a couple of packages, but I wasn't looking forward to it, since it took forever last week. I put on my good shoes in case there was going to be a lot of standing, and I took a bottled water. My fears were pointless because they had two people working there today, both very fast and efficient, so it took no time at all. There was no line at all. Wow! I told them how awful that woman was last week. Apparently I'm not the first one to complain about her, either. She wasn't just slow. She looked at everyone's ID and said hi to us by name and then handed us our receipted, but circled the URL for where you can go to leave a comment, told us her name and wrote it down so we would be sure to get it right. She also chatted away with everyone, despite the long line. She normally works at Waikiki, where they probably aren't nearly as crowded.  I felt like saying, "Lady, this is downtown. People want to get back to work." but I didn't, of course.

I went to Subway after that to get a soda and then just went home. Too tired to do anything else today! I did pick up the mail and got a package (which happens a lot lately)  I need to start making Christmas cookies tonight.

I've just been working on my site, otherwise.  I feel like taking a nap, honestly, but it's almost dinnertime. We'll see if I still feel tired when midnight rolls around... I guess I'm still a little weak from being sick, despite feeling ok otherwise. Also, now I have a slight temperature. Hopefully I'll be all better tomorrow and can walk to my lesson with no problems.

It took over an hour for our food to get delivered and then I ate way too much pizza.

We watched some TV, and then David went to sleep. He usually goes to bed around 8 or 9.

A friend made this website and asked his friends to make a similar page, called NOW NOWl  So here's mine :)

  Thursday, December 17

I woke up in the middle of the night feeling awful. I guess it was low blood sugar. I'm not sure why. I may have accidentally taken a pill twice? No idea otherwise. Ugh, it was terrible. I hate that feeling of shakiness and the sweats. I finally feel better after stuffing my face with carbs. Then I had bad heartburn for a long time and was very sick when I woke up at 9am. So I guess it was a combination of the diabetes and the allergies, unless stuffing my face just upset my whole system somehow. Who knows...

Every Thursday and Monday is the dry cleaner pickup/delivery downstairs, so I either have to up and awake, dressed and ready to go, or I have to get dressed and go back to sleep, wait for his call and then just throw on my shoes and grab my keys and the laundry sack.  Usually I do the latter. This morning I was up for a change. I'm going to try to stay awake, but we'll see how long that goes.

I have my guitar lesson at 2, so hopefully I'll feel better by 1:30 so I can walk over there. It's only a mile, which is normally no big deal, but if you're sick that is a long way. Especially when it's hot outside. I haven't had much time or energy to practice, but he'll understand... it's funny because I'm used to voice teachers, who are professors at a university, so they expect a certain standard of behavior, and so I feel guilty if I haven't practiced enough. But I'm paying this guy, so even though he's a great teacher, and I'm learning a lot, he's not exactly going to complain if I'm not doing what I should. It comes down to me wanting to do it or not. If I don't practice, it's wasting my money. So that's why I normally do practice (besides, I do want to get better and learn more songs).  I've tried a few times this week but it was just too hot or I was too weak. I've almost got my full strength back and walking 2 miles today will be a good test of that. I think I'll probably leave a little earlier so I can walk slowly if I need to.

I'm seriously considering walking down to Starbucks to get some coffee, so I can wake up, and then looking into this Christmas Fair that's nearby. Part of me really wants to do that, and the other part of me wants to go back to sleep...

Well, I kind of did both. I was sick most of the day with my usual intestinal problems (but worse than usual, or at least different). I did manage to drag myself over to the Christmas Fair, but it was very small and not very interesting. The North Shore store that I love did have a booth, so I bought a jar of their wonderful white chocolate raspberry peanut butter.  I went to Starbucks and had a Frappuccino because it was too hot for coffee.

I went back home and was sick some more, so I canceled my guitar lesson. I really hated to do it, but I was worried that if I tried to make it, I would not find a bathroom on the way if I needed it. Ugh.  After that, I went to sleep for quite a while.  David came home briefly to grab his graduation gown because today was their Winter graduation. I woke up again in the afternoon.

I did some singing and guitar playing, and recording, so that was fun. David came home later, after 7, and we had dinner.  Then we watched TV, and I've been listening to songs on TIK. I feel much better after my long nap. I have another lessons scheduled for Sunday. It was the only time I could. He's either booked up on vacation until the end of the year!

I need to start my Christmas cookies but so far, I've not been motivated...  I finally did get motivated, and then I discovered we didn't have any butter. Oops.

I couldn't sleep, except for maybe an hour. I had to get up early for two conference calls, anyway. 

  Friday, December 18

I went back to sleep after the conference calls until about 2:30. I decided to run to the store to get some of the ingredients I need for cookies. It was raining a lot of the time, but I got through it pretty easily. i had some packages to pick up when I came home. i was very hot and tired, but I went back out to get dinner with David. Exhausting day!

I did a little more recording of Christmas songs. I'm over my cold, but my voice hasn't quite gotten over it yet.

This old desktop that I use for my site (I just use it for one thing, for running this program that grabs the closed-captioning from the soaps) is having the same problem it had  at the end of October. It's not booting up or something (the light's on but nothing happens on the screen0. Last time, they came and got it, took it back to the shop, and couldn't find anything wrong with it. So annoying.

I'm going to go to bed early for a change..

  Saturday, December 19

I met Cynthia over at the Blaisdell Exhibition Hall (part of the media center there) around ten. Actually, I got there early and stood in line for about 20 minutes. There was already a long line. It was the Season's Best Craft & Gift Fair. Neither of us knew what to expect. I was hoping for Christmas decorations. It was a huge room and it got very crowded. We were glad to arrive early.  They had lots of great stuff. I could have easily spent a few hundred dollars there. I  bought a pretty blouse, with sparkly stuff; a bill/change purse with cartoon dogs on it; some candy canes decorated to look like reindeer; some gluten free cakes and brownies; a few other Christmas decorations; a tiny cactus plant in a shell (artsy thing); a purse; an Asian wall hanging; some pot holders; and some jewelry.  It turns out, I somehow left the purse there, which I'm not very happy about.  It was a lot of fun, but very tiring. Tom picked us up afterwards, and we met David over at Gordon Biersch for lunch. We had a nice chat with them.

Walking back, there was a little street fair near our place. It wasn't all that exciting, although I did pick up some more business cards. There was a woman on stage with a guitar, playing and singing by herself. She was very good and it sounded like original music. She had the same exact guitar as me!

Then I went home and did a little work on my site, but then started making Christmas cookies. Aside from a short dinner break later, I stayed up until about 4am making cookies. I was very tired.

  Sunday, December 20

I got up around 8:15 (UGH) and took a shower. David went with me over to Starbucks for breakfast, then he walked with me to my guitar lesson. It was a good lesson, despite my being so tired. I brought my guitar teacher a container of cookies, so he was happy about that. We took a short Instagram video of my playing, which was fun. We spent most of the time working on Christmas songs. I say "working" but it's just so much fun.

Then David picked me up, and we went to the grocery store...haven't done that for awhile! Then we had a quick lunch, and I walked 3 blocks over to St. Anthony's Cathedral for their annual Christmas Choral concert. I met Tom, Cynthia, and their friend Margaret there. It was a really good concert. I was very tired, though, so I was kind of glad when it was over, even though I had fun singing along to the carols.

I'm not religious, but I have no problem going to a church. I grew up going to Catholic church, and I've been in many choirs for years doing sacred music (all in school, though; I've never been in a church choir). I love Christmas music!

I tried to take a nap when I got home, but I couldn't sleep. I did the dishes and then, not too long after, we went to Downbeat for a quick dinner.  Then I came back and started making more Christmas cookies.

These two weeks are the busiest ones of the year for me. Just so many events, things to keep track off, places to go, preparations to make.

Tomorrow I'm going to go listen to Karol's Karoler's as they sing Christmas carols at Downtown Coffee, and then I'm going to go over to Ward Center to meet Tom and Cynthia for the new Star Wars movie!

Tuesday (or perhaps Monday if there's time) I need to get my desktop computer fixed! Then I have to make a whole lot more cookies...to give out to the people David works with, and people in our building, and to the lady who cuts my hair.

Wednesday, Karol's Karolers are having a formal concert at St. Andrew's in the afternoon, so I'm going to that.  Then, except for Christmas day dinner, we don't have anything planned until next Wednesday when Barbara arrives! So that will be great...very relaxing. I plan organize some things in the house better and then we'll have it cleaned the morning before she comes. Otherwise, I can just go back to normal, working on my site etc.

I don't even have another guitar lesson until 2016!

It's been super windy here and raining a lot. I hope it's nicer for Christmas and also for Barbara's visit.

Right now I'm almost done with making cookies for tomorrow's batch (some people at David's work that are leaving Monday for the holidays). Hopefully I can get to sleep at a normal hour!

Don't forget to also check out my TV Blog! Both are updated about once a week.

I disabled the comments because of spam, but please do Contact me if you have a comment about the blog!

This page updated 3/24/17

[an error occurred while processing this directive] Save the Internet: Click here

Home 1/5/15 Chronicles 1/12/15 Chronicles 1/19/15 Chronicles 1/26/15 Chronicles 2/2/15 Chronicles 2/16/15 Chronicles 2/23/15 Chronicles 3/2/15 Chronicles 3/9/15 Chronicles 3/19/15 Chronicles 3/30/15 Chronicles 4/6/15 Chronicles 4/13/15 Chronicles 4/20/15 Chronicles 5/4/15 Chronicles 5/11/15 Chronicles 5/18/15 Chronicles 5/25/15 Chronicles 6/1/15 Chronicles 6/8/15 Chronicles 6/22/15 Chronicles 6/29/15 Chronicles 7/6/15 Chronicles 7/13/15 Chronicles 7/20/15 Chronicles 7/27/15 Chronicles 8/3/15 Chronicles 8/10/15 Chronicles 8/17/15 Chronicles 8/24/15 Chronicles 8/31 Chronicles 9/7/15 Chronicles 9/14/15 Chronicles 9/21/15 Chronicles 10/1/15 Chronicles 11/2/15 Chronicles 10/5/15 Chronicles 10/12/15 Chronicles 10/19/15 Chronicles 10/28/15 Chronicles 11/9/15 Chronicles 11/19/15 Chronicles 11/25/15 Chronicles 12/12/15 Chronicles 12/21/15 Chronicles 12/28/15 Chronicles